Sunday, November 23, 2008

Rich Malaysian Crafts

Dear hubby decided to make a trip to Penang . We reached the island forty five minutes later . The traffic towards and on the bridge was " ok " .....moving ...and not snarling . I dread to think and be caught stuck on the bridge when an accident occurs . One can be stuck for hours there . Such impromptu ride will see us all in tow ; an opportunity for all to get fresh air ( ? ) , for son Amir and daughter Yasmin to browse for new books as well . For mummy dearest ...its a time to get OUT OF THE HOUSE !!


Christmas is a month away . As usual the business folks are busy preparing for it . Malaysia is celebrating all kind of festivals these past few months and the shopping mall we went had its Christmas decorations up .




The trees were nicely decorated with the typical bright and colorful lights ....adding excitement for the Christmas shoppers . I could hear the cash register going ka...ching .....!!! Good business with all these festivals .



Daughter Yasmin can't resist but to have her pix taken...


under the watchful eyes of this guard . He gladly posed for me when I told him he looked smart in that uniform of his plus the hat he is using . I wonder if he is a Malaysian or lain lain ...? Bangladesh ? Gurkha ?



There were not as many shoppers as on other days . I was thankful for that . I heard the sound of malay songs being sung ....soothing music ...accompanied by the sound of a gendang , accordion and violin . We walked along , stopping now and then at certain shops to window shop ...gaze and drool over certain products . We turned a corner and was surprised to see a malay band performing .



I just had to go near and take this pix . The singer looked familiar ...is it our Datuk Lat ...Malaysia's famous cartoonist up there ....?? A hugh disappointment ...coz if it was him ...I would have gone on the stage and perhaps sing along too !



It was a show case of Malaysia cultural heritage ...the promotion of Batik and other local crafts . Its not that often one comes across exhibitions or promotions like this . There were Batik paintings



and other crafts as well . I was indeed thrilled . It allows my children to stop a while and appreciate Malaysian culture . Its also a time to share the culture with the other Malaysian races as well . Do enjoy these pictures .
























I ended up buying this tabung ....made from bamboo ....at least there is a place now for the loose coins . Now this bamboo proudly stands at a corner on my work table .



Till then , take care !

No comments: