Sunday, May 9, 2010

Our Day ....

' Happy Mother's Day '....greetings from my daughter .

' Thank you ' .....I said .

" What do you want me to do for you ? '...she asked .

' Hmmmmm.....could you clean up your room and put away your folded clothes in the wardrobe ? '....I answered .

' Ok...' was her reply . Well she did the chores as requested .

Mother's Day ....very much a celebration all over the globe . It was not so in my younger days . Mother's Day was unheard of . The culture did not exist at all . After all in my community , a mother is to be honored at all times ...365 days a year .

Sure ....I read and heard about this day and while it is the ' in ' thing to celebrate it in the west on a specific date ...I couldn't care less about it. How could I go goo goo -ga ga over it when my own dear mother was unaware of the day's existence . It would be strange to simply celebrate the day as it was never part of her up bringing too . Its just an awkward celebration .

Time goes by . I have my own family and I am a mother . My husband and I never introduced Mother's Day as part of the family's celebration . My children were introduced to it at school. So I received hand made cards and cute little art and crafts from them on this day ....deeply appreciated of course .

Now that they are teenagers ...I no longer received any hand made cards . If they remember to wish me Happy Mother's Day ....that is great ... a hugh bonus . And if they forgot I don't make a fuss over it .

Whatever ....this Mother's Day celebration is catching on in my environment now . It is here to stay . I see families bringing their mothers out for dinners . I hear the sound of the cash register at shops going ' ka-ching' as loving children bought cards and presents for their mothers ....eating out at restaurants for brunch or trunch .

We opted to eat out that night ...just a family gathering and to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary . Eldest son had just arrived home earlier in the day ; a month's break from campus . A lot of catching up to do ....the evening was just great .

Oh ya ....since early saturday and sunday ...my cell phone was busy ...receiving SMS wishes from friends . Ooooo...that was a nice feeling ; felt so good that we are in someone's thoughts . Thank you dear friends for the wishes .


Happy Mother's Day to all .

No comments: