Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Immigration Department

Its not that often one goes to the Immigration Department . In my case I would be there to renew my maid's work permit . Once done I headed home and would only see the Immigration officers the following year .


Today I had to apply for an international passport . Purpose ...... in case we decided to go somewhere out of the country . But first we had to take a picture of myself ; a passport size photo . Off we went to a photo shop .An old lady was there and she could not be bothered to greet us . The old man was nicer . Once our photos were taken , I chatted with the woman outside .


I asked her if the old man was her husband . She said yes ....and further said " How I hate to see his face !! He makes me want to vomit " . Gee ...I was speechless .... Its not that often one gets to hear a stranger telling you about her marital life . What would you do ?


Anyway , at the Immigration Department , we felt welcome .




There was a counter with an officer manning it . We explained our purpose and he gave us a number ....and the counter to go to .




When my number was called ....this lady officer attended to me . I passed her all the relevant documents . She checked the documents ...and while waiting I saw this on the counter .




It stated the name of the officer ; her job specifications and the duration it would take her to accomplish her tasks . So far , I gave her credits for a job well done . She made me feel at ease too .


Then surprise , surprise .....we met a fellow Sarawakian ....and she was manning another counter . She was just glad to have met us and to be able to speak our Sarawak lingo . Of course , yours truly would ask for the handphone number ....which she gladly gave . It was terrific meeting another Sarawakian .



On the way out , I could not resist taking a picture of this signage .



Good for this department ....they have a special counter for customers who are old and feeble ; handicapped , pregnant women and babies ....people who needs to be attended first and served fast .


Verdict :

An efficient department with friendly staff . I'm pleased ....

No comments: