Friday, October 17, 2008

Old Fashioned ?


I just remembered I had to get a card , a birthday card for my bestest best friend . Since I was pressing for time , I decided to get whatever card was available in that store . I was glad I was able to get one that caught my fancy .



It would have been nice though to make one of my own for that would have been a fantastic gift . Very personalised from me ....to spread cheer to her and comfort , peace and well wishes .



Anyway , a store bought card will do . The time and thought that goes into the card hopefully means a lot to her who receive it . That makes me really happy to give it .



See the above pix ? These are the Hari Raya cards I received this year . I appreciated it very much ...receiving all these cards cheers me up . I love sending and I love receiving cards . These are from my friends . Its nice to know that I am in someone’s thoughts . I received about five cards from my non muslim friends too plus another five sent as sms text messages ....this gaining popularity as it enables one to send in a matter of seconds .



I guess sending cards is losing its popularity ... perhaps due to inefficiency of the post and perhaps due to some thinking its a waste and troublesome to stand in queue to buy the stamp at the post office . After all this card will end up in the waste paper basket . Tsk! Tsk ! Another tree cut down to make a card .


From my sister Lili....

Call me old fashioned , but I still like to hold an enveloped card that I received in my hand . I would eagerly tore open the envelope and hear the sound of paper being ripped ....very eager to know the sender . These cards I received and the ones I had sent helped me to communicate with people in the most personal way ....a gift and a sentiment in one .

( Note : Hubby used to say to the children “ Your mother is too sentimental ” . Can’t blame him ...I still keep some of my children’s baby clothes and their first shoes plus their baby books as well . A baby blanket that I made too !! And the birthday and well wishes cards !!)


All the way from USA ....i was careful with the envelope...beautifully decorated !


These cards ...I can pull it out again in a month , a year or 10 years time . Hold it in my hands and read and think of that person . Its a positive lasting impression . I wonder who would keep an e card or sms text that long ?


From my ex teacher ...Anita ...

TQ Nitot ...the pantun was cute !!


Yunno , each time I sit down to write in a card , it is written with that person in mind ..... It is personal . I put a piece of myself in that card . I love the special time in writing . I don’t only depend on the pre printed words . At times I am lost for words ....and can’t express my feelings . But I wrote of other things....maybe the times we had shared ...maybe the funny things we had done ....its good to have a sense of humour .


From my ex boss...En. Omar.

Received lots of the same kind of card from ex colleagues . TQ !

I’m sure the time and thoughts that goes into my cards means a lot to those who receive these cards . I can imagine the joy on their faces and I’m sure they enjoy reading what I had written ...I’m sure they smiled to know that they are remembered and I’m sure they felt special . That makes me happy to give them .


So I guess I am going to continue sending cards ...be it be a birthday card , thank you card , Chinese new year card , Xmas cards , Hari Raya cards , well wishes cards .....etc ...as sending out cards sounds good ....is good ....meant to be good ...and the intention is good .


Note : One must not forget the true meaning of giving cards is not to expect the reply . It should be one’s sincerity as we think of someone .

Howeverrrrrrr......I do like to venture and see whether .....I received replies from our Prime Minister .....and I did !


From our Prime Minister

Had always received a card from him for the past 4 years.....


From Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad

The above is from our ex Prime Minister...Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad . He never failed to reply .....for the past years ..............

Next year ...I will send to our Yang Di Pertuan Agong and the Sultan of Brunei ? Why not ?

I will keep you posted !! cheers !!



No comments: