Sunday, January 20, 2008

Harvesting






It's a different scenery now as I drive my children to school . The vast acres of paddy fields are golden yellow in color . The rice stalks are ripe and ready for harvesting . They are all of uniform height .






I have not taken a walk on the narrow road that separates each paddy fields . I would like to feel what's its like to stand or sit quietly for a while amongst the ripening paddy fields . I would love to do that someday .




Ripening of the rice stalks means its ready to be harvested . So far I've not seen anybody collecting the crops manually using a sickle . I saw a harvesting machine though . Usage of this machine must have helped the folks a lot . I don't know how the machine actually works but I do notice that it strips the paddy grains from the stalks .and a truck is nearby to collect the grains .


What I can say is I don't see the process of the actual harvesting if done manually ...that is the process of cutting , handling , stacking and threshing and winnowing as well as drying of the paddy grains .


Someday if there is an opportunity , I hope to be friend the folks here and observe and experience the harvesting of paddy . Insyaallah .....( God Willing ) .


Salam to everybody . Take care and stay and stay safe .

No comments: