Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Messy And Ugly

I hope this will be the last renovation work to our house for a long long time . It's not completed yet ........its getting there but at a slower pace . Of course the dust was everywhere ........and messy as well and the noise ........





Anybody who had had their renovation work done to their house will know that any renovation is not cheap ........and we are expected to pay cash as the work progressed . Yesterday the contractor / builder called asking for another RM4000/- I have to check on the house again to determine and justify the amount he is requesting . So far we had paid three quarter of the total cost incurred .




This was how the kitchen used to look once the backyard was walled up . Welcome ..............




I'm not a builder ......because if I am I would have done this renovation improvement to my house as a DIY project . I might have saved money ........but I don't think it is easy as it looked on the TV .




Anyway , I don't have the expertise ...the technical know how nor the time to do so . However I am not ignorant of the fact that when one is doing such work , one should not ignore safety . A safe working environment hardly existed .................. among the contractor's workers .



There were no safety glasses used ....nor work gloves or any head protection .........no work boots .There were no face masks too........I saw them covering their faces with a piece of towel to protect them from the dust the moment they used the hammer , chisel or electrical equipment .





The noise ........hardly any hearing protection too . I hope they don't suffer from any permanent damage to their ears ......... In other words there is hardly any personal protective used by these workers . I hope and pray that no accidents will happen .




I wonder if the first aids box was available and that it was easily accessible . Perhaps there was one but I did not see it . Maybe it was under the pile of materials that had just arrived . Imagine if something happened and on one on the site could find the first aid box .


I wonder what was in the contractor's mind when he took up our renovation work project .........was his own safety and those around him important or was the project more important ?

No comments: