Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Al Fatihah

I awoke suddenly last night ....looked at the clock ......0143 am and fell asleep again .


At about 0815 this morning a friend smsed me . Our close friend, she said had passed away . She asked ....was she ever sick ?


I called her .....are you sure its our friend ? She found it hard to believe too but that was what she heard .....who had received the news from my late friend's neighbor .


I made a few calls here and there ...and finally managed to get thru my late friend's husband . Yes .....he said .....we are preparing her for the prayers now. She passed on before 2 this morning . I knew he too was in shock and feeling the loss of a love one ...I did not want to know more but just one more question " was she ever sakit ? " She died of low blood pressure ......he said .


No.........I was not able to attend her funeral ........I'm sorry that I missed yours , my friend .


In my mind ..scenes of us growing up together .....attending the same primary , secondary and college together played in the pages of my mind . How we climbed their " cermai" tree to get the sour little fruits . How her parents looked on in amazement at us but never saying a word and say " not to climb ". They sure do have lots of confidence in us .


When she was young her dressing had always been clean , neat , prim and proper .Her hair at shoulder length and neatly combed or tied back . She would have ribbons in her hair . Most of the time we sat next to each other in class . She had always been the smart one ......very good in her English and other subjects too . And she had this appetite to read.......read and read .


She had this infectious laugh ; she just loved to laugh .......and she loved to smile too ; showing off her set of perfectly set , white teeth . I remembered once ........both of us receiving prizes for .........a set of good teeth !! I remembered she was not the kind to simply participate in the crazy things that me and other friends did . She would be at the side and looked on and laughed at us .


Rest in peace , my friend ...........you will always be in my memories . Thanks for touching my life and thanks too for being my friend .


Al Fatihah .


" Jamilah Binti Piee ( !961 - 2008 ) "
bersamaan
20 Rejab 1429 H .

2 comments:

podgykat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
podgykat said...

Jamilah, I remember her too-our class would merge with you guys for english lit. We would share a lot of laughs and jokes on our walks to the bus stop too. I know how close you and her were; really sorry to hear of her passing at such a young age. Al Fatihah. May she rest in peace. She will live on in the hearts & memories of those whose lives she touched.

Like I said earlier, it's really sad but it brought that few of us together again; we must stay in touch from now on and seeing that we have blogs, emails, cellphones, there's no excuse not too. Salams from us (Henry, Othman,Sophia included) here. See you around the blogs!