Saturday, August 16, 2008

Happenings.....

Hubby was on midnight shift . By the time I left , he was still not home yet . Anyway I had told him earlier about my intention to attend this baking class for the past week . Funny , he kept on forgetting . Signs of us aging ?


The class started on schedule . After paying the fees , I chose a place to sit. I don't know anybody there . So ...you got to be a lone ranger for a while . All the best seats had been taken . Fear not , dread not ....just go on with what you planned to do.....I said in my tiny heart . Honestly you can be lonely in a crowd .....




Not a bad company to be in . There were two male teachers ....wilo take the plunge for the hands on experience .




Another was a lecturer at the teacher's training college who came with her sister in law . Her sister in law has her own food stall . She said she just want to try her hands in baking bread as her children just love to buy the buns and they are not cheap nowadays .




The chef showed us the steps how to make a basic bread dough .



From there she showed us how to turn this dough into buns ...





with toppings such as with sausages , with red bean paste and with onions as well .



She allowed us to interrupt and ask questions . Pausing now and then to answer and allowing pictures to be taken . She showed the steps so deliberately and she made it look so easy .



" Once done put this bun immediately on the tray . Remember to flour the tray so that its easy for you to remove once its cook . Do not put your toppings immediately . Leave it aside for at least 30 minutes ....."



Once she was through , all of us were divided into groups ...and my partner was this lady on the right .



The lady in blue is a teacher teaching at a local school . Both are friendly ...... My partner is an enterprising lady ....she has a business of her own ......making the malay's local delicacies . She said to me ".....I can teach you how to make the bahulu ...if you want to ". In my heart , how blessed I am to come across this lady who is so ever ready to pass her knowledge to others . And I don't even know her .


Well...both of us took turn to mold and knead the dough . Then we put it in the hot sun so as to allow the dough to rise and double its size . In the mean time we helped the chef to finish making her buns .....allowing me to garner experience as well .

No comments: